An Act Relative to Safe and Supportive Schools
TLPI and its Coalition for Safe and Supportive Schools are currently advocating for an Act Relative to Safe and Supportive Schools , which is pending before the Massachusetts legislature. If passed, the law will help establish a statewide infrastructure that empowers schools to create safe and supportive environments where all children can learn and succeed. It will provide schools and districts with the Safe and Supportive Schools Framework, an organizational tool to help them develop action plans.
If passed, this law will:
- Define a safe and supportive school and establish in law a state-wide Safe and Supportive Schools Framework.
- Direct all schools, by 2016, to include actions for creating safe and supportive environments and cultures in the School Improvement Plans that are already required under MGL c. 69 § 1I.
- Establish a commission to assist with statewide implementation of the Safe and Supportive Schools Framework in schools and to make ongoing recommendations.
- Establish a Safe and Supportive Schools Grant Program to fund exemplar schools who wish to serve as models in creating safe and supportive schools.
- Provide a self-assessment tool to help schools create their action plans and provide technical assistance to schools and districts.
Why kids need this law:
- Many students are not achieving their full academic potential. Research shows that safe and supportive whole-school environments are a necessary foundation for improving educational outcomes.
- The Safe and Supportive Schools law will help reduce the achievement gap by providing all students with safe and supportive whole-school learning environments.
Why schools want this law:
- Schools are struggling to implement student support initiatives effectively. Educators want a way to align these initiatives — including bullying prevention, dropout prevention, truancy reduction, trauma sensitivity, and social/emotional learning — that make schools safe and supportive.
- The Safe and Supportive Schools law will provide all schools with an organizational tool and a consistent, locally-tailored process to create the whole-school environments students need.