The Safe and Supportive Schools Commission recommended maintaining funding for the the line item for Safe and Supportive Schools to help the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) carry out the functions that are asked of it in the law. We are grateful that Governor Baker has included the line item and level funded it in his proposed budget at $400,000. His support is greatly appreciated. In line with the Commission’s recommendations (see Second Annual Commission report), carry out the many duties necessary to support implementation of the Safe and Supportive Schools Framework, This includes:
- the Commission requests that the Safe and Supportive Schools line item (7061-9612) continue to be funded in FY 18 in order to ensure that the Department, schools, and the Commission have the resources to help foster throughout the Commonwealth implementation of the cost-efficient approaches envisioned in the statute for creating safe and supportive school cultures.
- providing technical assistance to schools;
- supporting the safe and supportive schools grant program and helping grantees pilot and share with other schools ways for developing and implementing school action plans;
- updating its website
- hosting conferences and regional trainings for schools and districts;
- (vi) providing support to the safe and supportive schools commission established under subsection.
Click on the link above to join our coalition and learn more about opportunities to advocate for safe and supportive schools during this budget season. We will be sending email alerts to contact your legislator as needed. Providing us with your home address will help us connect you to your legislators so that you can make your voice heard. TLPI will not share any contact information you provide with third parties.